Tochigi Prefecture is one of the finest Onsen paradises in Japan, having approximately 630 Onsen each with its own source of spring water. The following is a list of selected Onsen among the most popular Onsen-kyo (hot spring towns).
A popular getaway resort thanks to its easy access from Tokyo.
- One of the largest Onsen resorts in the Kanto region
- The Kinugawa River is lined with inns and hotels
- Its seasonal scenic beauty attracts many visitors from Tokyo
- Activities in the Kinugawa River, such as river cruises and rafting, are highly recommended
The town with a long and rich history in a scent of sulphur
- Famous for its milky and sulphurous hot spring water
- “Shikanoyu”, a communal bath with a 1300-year history, is an icon of this Onsen resort and popular with visitors even today
A relaxing walk along a mountain stream
- A unique Onsen-kyo with a diversity of thermal spring water promoting a range of qualities and benefits
- Various nature trails are available following the local mountain streams
- A famous summer resort known for its refreshing environment
Onsen in a mountain village with the legend of samurai
- Samurai refugees came across this hot spring and settled in the village to heal their wounds
- Visit magical scenes of illuminated snow huts during the “Yunishigawa Kamakura Festival” every winter